|Burglary Prevention for Your Home|
|Exterior & Landscape|
Exterior and Landscape
- Install lights in areas around doors, walkways, and driveways. Locate outside lights high and out of reach. Use inexpensive timers or photo electric cells to automatically turn the lights on and off at dusk and dawn.
- Trim shrubbery and trees so doors and windows are visible from the street.
- If there is a second floor, prune the trees so that a thief cannot use them to reach a second floor window.
- To discourage an intruder, plant thorny hostile plants along fences and near windows.
- A good fence should not block visibility.
- Do not leave ladders or tools outside, they can assist a person in gaining entry.
- Gates on fenced yards should be locked with good quality padlocks.
- Install large reflective numbers (minimum 3 inches) on your house and mailbox so police and other emergency personnel can find your home quickly.