The Celina Fire Department was established in 1912 consisting of residents of the City of Celina and the surrounding area. Originally, the fire station was in back of what is now the City Council chamber at 302 W. Walnut Street. The department purchased its first new fire engine in 1938, which it still owns. At present, the department has two Pierce Engines, two brush trucks, a manpower squad, 3 ambulances and a battalion vehicle.
In December of 2001 the first full time fire fighter was hired by the City in the capacity of Fire Chief, and in December of 2004 a second firefighter was employed. At present, the Department has a full time Fire Chief/Fire Marshal, an Operations/EMS Chief, 3 Fire Officers and six firefighter/paramedics. The Celina Fire Department is currently a combination department that also utilizes volunteer firefighters. These volunteers are men and women that give of their time and talents to the city of Celina and its residents.
On December 1, 2007, the Department initiated its own EMS service. Five firefighter/medics were hired to provide a paramedic and EMT on shift 24/7. To date, the fire department has 3 Medic units. Medic 1 and Medic 2 are staffed for first-out response to any medical emergency in the fire district. Medic 3 is a reserve med unit.
The fire district for the Celina Fire Department consists of approximately 90 square miles. These boundaries cover parts of Collin, Denton and Grayson counties, and Celina has mutual aid agreements with all its surrounding cities.
The City of Celina has also passed a comprehensive fire sprinkler ordinance that requires fire sprinkler protection in all new structures built inside the city.