Under certain circumstances, you have a right to take a Driver Safety Course to keep a moving violation off your driving record.
- You must request this in person or in writing by certified mail within twenty (20) business days from the date of your citation or your court date; whichever is later.
- You are required to present your valid Class C Texas driver license and proof of financial responsibility (proof of insurance) sign an affidavit which must be notarized stating you have not completed a Driver Safety Course in the past twelve (12) months, and pay $97.10 court costs plus a $10.00 administrative fee ** if the offense occurred within a school zone you must pay $122.10 court cost plus a $10.00 administrative fee.
You do not qualify to take defensive driving:
- if you have done so within the last 12 months
- If you were charged with speeding 25 MPH or more over the posted speed limit
- If you hold a class A or B CDL (Commercial driver license)
- If you were passing a school bus
- If you were cited in a construction zone with (workers present)