Garage Sale Basics
- GARAGE SALE includes a porch sale, yard sale, estate sale, or any kind of outdoor auction or other sale, which offers for sale personal property that is primarily used.
- Application for a garage sale permit shall be applied for a minimum of 48 hours prior to the sale.
- No more than four (4) garage sales during any twelve month period at any individual property address.
- No sale shall last more than three (3) consecutive days.
- A maximum of five (5) signs are permitted, not to exceed six (6) square feet per sign. Each sign shall have an approval sticker as issued by the City.
- A homeowners association (HOA) may organize a neighborhood garage sale, or in an area without an HOA, 6 or more residents can join together for a neighborhood sale.
- Non-residential properties (commercial, churches, schools, multi-family) cannot hold a garage sale, but can apply for a special event permit.
- No sign shall be displayed more than 24 hours in advance of the garage sale, and all signs must be immediately removed at the end of the garage sale.
- Approved signs shall not be affixed to or located upon any public property, right-of-way, easement, utility pole, sidewalk or other public way.
- No sale items shall be placed on public property, within a road or alley right-of-way, sidewalk or easement.
- The property owner is responsible for parking the day(s) of the garage sale. If through traffic is impeded or a dangerous condition is created, the garage sale permit may be revoked, ending the sale for the balance of that day. Refusal to close the sale by the owner shall be a violation of this ordinance.
- HOA/Subdivisions will need to provide the subdivision name and addresses of all the participating residents.
- A garage sale permit shall be issued by individual property address or subdivision name, not by the applicant’s name.
- Any violation of any part of this chapter shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, shall be subject to a fine not to exceed the sum of $500 for each offense. Each and every day such offense shall continue, shall be deemed to constitute a separate offense
for a garage sale permit.